With LA County extending the shelter in place order for another month we are WFH (in leggings) for at least the next month, which brings up many new challenges in work life. If you live at home with a partner, roomie, or family you might be thinking about pulling your hair out. Instead follow some of these to tips to set and keep healthy boundaries when working from home:
- set a designated space for each of your "offices"
- set a time for lunch, if possible set the same times so you can meet in "the break room" to have meals together
- establish a working guideline for calls and privacy
- if you have kids schedule day care and work time separately, maybe you can trade off on who works and who parents
- maintain a no news during working hours rule
- get up every 2 hours and break for 10-15 mins> do a guided meditation, call a friend, get some fresh air, have some vitamins or citrus to keep immunity up
- communicate that though you are working in close quarters you still need "you time" and space out when and how you can take that
- use I statements to communicate what you need: "I feel frustrated when I'm on a zoom call and I can hear you playing video games in the back. Please respect that I am working."
- remember this is TEMPORARY, release expectations of perfection and focus on doing what you can